About Stephen C. Bellum, Ph.D., Esq.
Stephen Bellum counsels biotechnology and pharmaceutical clients with respect to developing and implementing robust patent prosecution strategies. He draws from his diverse medical research background and more than fifteen years of U.S. patent prosecution experience and management of large international patent estates. He works with clients to craft patent applications with an eye on Patent Law trends in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions. He complements his patent prosecution practice with assisting clients with licensing matters and opinion work, including freedom to operate and validity determinations.
Student Associate with Finnegan LLP, Washington, DC.
Post-doctoral fellow at the Maine Medical Center Research Institute, with focuses on both tumor growth in relation to release mechanisms of FGF-1 and IL-1α, and regenerative medicine.
- A switch in numb isoforms is a critical step in cortical development. Bani-Yaghoub M, Kubu CJ, Cowling R, Rochira J, Nikopoulos GN, Bellum S, Verdi JM. Dev Dyn. 2007 Mar;236(3):696-705.
- Identification of a binding site on human FGF-2 for fibrinogen. Peng H, Sahni A, Fay P, Bellum S, Prudovsky I, Maciag T, Francis CW. Blood. 2004 Mar 15;103(6):2114-20. doi: 10.1182/blood-2003-08-2638. Epub 2003 Nov 20.
- Soluble Jagged1 attenuates lateral inhibition, allowing for the clonal expansion of neural crest stem cells. Nikopoulos GN, Duarte M, Kubu CJ, Bellum S, Friesel R, Maciag T, Prudovsky I, Verdi JM. Stem Cells. 2007 Dec;25(12):3133-42. doi: 10.1634/stemcells.2007-0327. Epub 2007 Aug 30.
- Copper chelation represses the vascular response to injury. Mandinov L, Mandinova A, Kyurkchiev S, Kyurkchiev D, Kehayov I, Kolev V, Soldi R, Bagala C, de Muinck ED, Lindner V, Post MJ, Simons M, Bellum S, Prudovsky I, Maciag T. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003 May 27;100(11):6700-5.
- Respiratory reovirus 1/L induction of intraluminal fibrosis. A model for the study of bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia. Bellum SC, Dove D, Harley RA, Greene WB, Judson MA, London L, London SD. Am J Pathol. 1997 Jun;150(6):2243-54.
- Carey School of Law at the University of Maryland, J.D. 2011
- Medical University of South Carolina, Ph.D. (Microbiology & Immunology) 1998
- Clemson University, B.S. 1992
- Registered to practice before the U.S.P.T.O.